Houston Divorce and Life Insurance Information

Provided by a Houston Divorce Lawyer

Houston Divorce Attorneys You Can Count On

Photo of Life Insurance FormIf you are facing the possibility of divorce, you need a team of Houston divorce lawyers who you can depend on throughout the divorce process. The attorneys at John K. Grubb & Associates, P.C., are experienced family lawyers who know the ins and outs of Houston divorce law and who strive to make the transition to divorced life as simple as possible. We understand the complex laws surrounding the division of community property and we will work with you to arrange a favorable separation agreement and protect your rights throughout your divorce.

Negotiating Favorable Property Division Arrangements for Life Insurance Policies

Life insurance policies are considered community property under Texas law and, accordingly, must be divided fairly amongst the spouses. Exceptions to this rule do, of course, exist, including instances where the spouses agreed to divide life insurance policies differently under at premarital agreement. However, in most situations, life insurance policies are considered community property to be divided amongst the spouses.

If the spouses can agree to how life insurance will be divided, the court will honor this agreement between the spouses. If the spouses are unable to come to an agreement on their own, the court will intervene and divide the life insurance policies in a manner that is “just and right.” This may not necessarily be an even division; it depends on the facts and circumstances of each individual case.

Working to Make Your Divorce as Successful as Possible

At John K. Grubb & Associates, P.C., we work to make your divorce as successful as possible, so you can focus on rebuilding your life without worrying about the details. If you are facing the division of your community property and debts, including the division of life insurance, you need a Houston family lawyer you can trust. Contact the knowledgeable Houston divorce attorneys at John K. Grubb & Associates, P.C., today for assistance with your divorce proceedings.